This recipe is USDA certified organic, gluten-free, vegan and non-GMO.
¾ cup plus 2 tbsps. whole-wheat pastry flour
½ cup BareOrganics Coconut Palm Sugar
⅓ cup BareOrganics Extra Rich Cacao
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup nonfat buttermilk
½ cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsps. canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup hot strong black BareOrganics Cardio Care Coffee
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Line the pan with a circle of wax paper.
- Whisk flour, coconut palm sugar, cacao, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add buttermilk, light brown sugar, egg, oil and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add hot coffee and beat to blend. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; remove from the pan, peel off the wax paper and let cool completely.
- Dust the top with confectioners' sugar before slicing and enjoying.